What is a punctuated presentation?

Corredor
The term "punctuated presentation" is new to me.  Moreover, when I did an internet search, I didn't come up with anything about teaching.  So, I am posting this question in the hope that someone can explain this technique.
Mauricio Corredor

Interested in the teaching of logistics, the history of the Old West, and decision-forcing staff rides.

Re: What is a punctuated presentation?

Teach USMC
Administrator
Hello, Corredor!

For my money, a "punctuated presentation" is a talk in which the speaker takes frequent breaks from "transmit mode" to engage his audience in various ways.  An excellent example of this can be seen in this video.  (The video also provides excellent advice on the facilitation of TDGs.)

Re: What is a punctuated presentation?

TopKick1833
Good morning all,

Last week we delivered a hybrid decision forcing case.   The subject was the Marine assault on Hill 142 at Belleau Wood.  Audience was Marine E5s to LtCols.  We wanted to teach some Marine Corps history and also have a Warfighting discussion at the same time.  Started off the DFC as normal with setting a 1918 mindset and progressed as normal for a DFC. During the background of what a Marine looked like and the technology of the time period we transitioned to showing the audience actual artifacts from the time period (uniforms, weapons, equipment etc).   A little “hands on” history.   We then continued along and set up the scenario and facts of events leading up to a decision being made.  We took several small breaks to discuss what was going on and the relation to Warfighting Philosophy today.

The presentation went well and feedback was positive.   Some of the Marines commented how happy they were that it was not the normal, boring lecture that they usually receive.

So was this a punctuated presentation?  Feedback, comments welcomed.

R/S

Phil

Re: What is a punctuated presentation?

Bruce_Gudmundsson
Hello, Topkick!

Congratulations on the success of your class.  (Having seen you in action, I am delighted, but far from surprised.)

I think that the class you described qualifies as a "punctuated presentation."  To be more precise, it seems like a hybrid between two classic methods - the decision-forcing case and the punctuated presentation.