Sample Facilitators Guide

taijeronv
Hi Guys,
This is an old Facilitators Guide while I was at West Point.  For seven years I ran the WARCEN what they now call the Simulation Center.  While I was there, I had the opportunity to help design a computer wargame that we used as a tool to teach tactics.  Instructors would bring me their "analog" TDGs, and I'd convert them to digital.  The game is called Follow Me and was developed by a good friend of mine Jim Lunsford, retired LTC Infantry.  Anyway, this guide is my attempt at creating a relevant and useable instructors guide.

When it comes to using games for training the instructor is arguably the weakest links.  A close second or maybe they are equal, is the game itself.  In my mind, it's the instructor that's the most significant obstacle.  In the guide, I give examples of activities the instructor can use to make their classes a bit more exciting and interesting.

I hope this helps someone to get their creative juices flowing regarding what's possible when it comes to teaching tactics.

By the way, I borrowed some ideas from other sources but failed to give them credit.  I would like to fix that, if you see something that you've elsewhere please let me know so I give proper credit.

Bold_Strike_Facilitators_Guide_9.pdf

TJ

Re: Sample Facilitators Guide

Teach USMC
Administrator
Thank you, TJ, for posting this.

By the way, I think that you are right about the relationship between instructors and games.  A good instructor can always create a game, but a game without an able instructor is of little use to anyone.

Re: Sample Facilitators Guide

PGN63
TJ,

I finally put the Facilitation video of Maj McBreen on youtube that I made for the SNCO non resident course. We ended up using this when we were developing the Decision Rooms at 2/6.

https://youtu.be/1LbeKkg3D0c