Resources on the Korean War - Breakout from Inchon

Resources on the Korean War - Breakout from Inchon

Corredor
I am thinking of doing a battle study on the breakout from the Inchon beachhead during the Korean War.  Can anyone point me in the direction of resources that I might use?  I am looking for video, readings, and research materials.
Mauricio Corredor

Interested in the teaching of logistics, the history of the Old West, and decision-forcing staff rides.

Re: Resources on the Korean War - Breakout from Inchon

Bruce_Gudmundsson
This post was updated on .

The good news is that there are lots of readily available sources on the Korean War.  The better news is that most of them are free.

Videos

This video, made by the US Army soon after the Inchon Landing, provides a thorough overview of the operation.

The "Combat Bulletin" series of newsreels, which are available on YouTube, provides detailed descriptions of events in the Korean War.  Because they were made so soon after the events they depict, they are particularly well suited for use with decision-forcing cases (DFCs.)  You can get a sense of what these newsreels are like by looking at "Combat Bulletin 101," the first program in the series.

Podcast

The Korean War Podcast tells the story of the Korean War in twenty-minute installments, which make the series well-suited to those who like to listen to podcasts while going to and from work.  The installments are also suitable for use as pre-class assignments.

Readings

The links provided in this post provide access to free electronic books about the Korean War.

You will also want to look at some of the excellent books on the Korean War that have been privately published.  In particular, I recommend the works of T.R. Fehrenbach, Roy Appleman, and, for those interested in small unit engagements, S.L.A. Marshall.  These books can be found in most base libraries.  (Because these books have been in print for a long time, you can buy copies cheaply on the used book market.)

Much of the research done by S.L.A. Marshall on small unit combat in Korea can be found online.  His report from 1950-1951, can be found here.  The notes he took during he visits to the front in Korea can be found here, at the Internet Archive.

Re: Resources on the Korean War - Breakout from Inchon

Paul Westermeyer